3/27/2014

Kobe Bryant speaks out against blacks automatically coming to Trayvon Martin's defense

It seems Bryant makes a very simple and obvious point:
"I won’t react to something just because I’m supposed to, because I’m an African-American,” he said. “That argument doesn’t make any sense to me. So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we’ve progressed as a society? Well, we’ve progressed as a society, then don’t jump to somebody’s defense just because they’re African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won’t assert myself.” . . . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger justicemike said...

More than just blacks came out in defense of Martin and a lot of it had to do not with the fact that he was black but perception of government misconduct in handling the investigation.

Its easy for you as a white person to try to put blacks in a monolithic block, but we like you white citizens are not.

There are plenty of black people like myself who simply were quiet and wanted to see the evidence and the case the government would bring.

Just try to remember that when you make these comments about black people in the US or anywhere else. We are a collection of individuals, not a monolithic block who all think the same way, feel the same way about government, and etc.

Kobe Bryant isn't special in that regard, and Charles Barkley beat him to that conclusion and announced it publicly to the point of saying Zimmerman shouldn't be convicted with the case the government had.

Just something to think about. I like your work Mr. Lott.

3/28/2014 3:38 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Thanks very much for the comment, Justice Mike, but I wasn't trying to lump all blacks together as a monolithic block. My good friend Walter Williams and others who I know share my views on this case. All I added to Kobe Bryant's comment was my statement "It seems Bryant makes a very simple and obvious point," and Kobe's comments seems to be very similar to yours. As to Barkley, I have put up his views before on my blog such as here: http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/12/charles-barkley-on-carrying-concealed.html

3/29/2014 12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home