3/12/2013

Newest piece up at Fox News: Can poor people be trusted with guns?

This is based on some of the discussion in my new book "At the Brink."  My newest Fox News piece starts this way:
Can poor people be trusted with guns? Overwhelmingly, Republicans thinks so. But while Democrats fight against taxes on the poor and oppose voter photo IDs because they impose too much of burden, they seem to be doing everything possible – from fees, expensive training requirements, and photo IDs -- to make it next to impossible for the poor to own guns. 
Indeed, legislation in at least 17 states around the country is aimed specifically at making it more costly to own a gun. Democrats are voting in mass against exempting the poor from fees when it comes to guns. New Yorkers aren't alone facing everything from registration fees to buying liability insurance. 
That's too bad, because many law-abiding citizens, particularly minorities in crime-ridden neighborhoods really do need a gun for self-defense. There is little doubt that the people who are most likely to be victims of violent crime – again, overwhelmingly poor blacks in urban areas -- are also the ones who benefit the most from owning guns.  Research, including my own, has demonstrated this. . . .
Even after a few days, this piece was the most read piece in the op-ed section.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while

3/12/2013 7:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I moved here to south central KY from my home state of MI back in 91 for a change of pace.I live in the country and not the city cause I like the privacy Ihave and the lack of annoying noise,I shoot whenever I want to on my property and I can on the bottoms and the corps of engineers lands there as well.I do know many people here that are very poor but they own more than one gun too and none of the people that I know pose no threat to anybody at all,Who is the hell would come up with something as ignorant as this question is

3/12/2013 7:35 PM  
Blogger L R said...

Dr. Lott, you should put share buttons on your posts!

3/12/2013 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home