4/10/2012

Did you know that "escalator" was originally a brand name?

Here is a list of surprising brand names that became generic terms:
A company's biggest fear is that their brand name becomes so commonly used to describe a product that a judge rules that it's too "generic" to be a trademark. That means that any product — even inferior ones — can legally use the name. A brand usually is declared legally generic after a company sues another firm for using its name and the case goes to a federal court. Drug maker Bayer lost trademarks for the names "aspirin" and "heroin" this way in the 1920s. So did B.F. Goodrich, which sued to protect its trademark of "zipper" in the 1920s after the name joined the world of common nouns. Similar cases deemed "escalator" generic in 1950, "thermos" generic in 1963 and "yo-yo" generic in 1965. . . .

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger ZinZen said...

Dear Dr. Lott:

I am a dedicated reader and a long time follower of your findings and writings on the very controversial topic of Second Amendment rights.

When I heard a brief radio announcement earlier today concerning a New York Times piece on 'Fashion and Concealed Carry,' I decided to look it up before turning in this evening.

Much to my chagrin the following piece surfaced as a result of my Google search for the article:

Why Is NY Times Citing Discredited Gun Researcher John Lott?
http://mediamatters.org/blog/201204240012

[Media Matters for America, April 24, 2012 1:30 pm ET by Matt Gertz]

Finding the word "discredited," especially in this connotation, was especially disheartening for me, and I am sure for your many loyal followers as well.

Have you seen the piece yet? Are you familiar with either the "Media Matters" blog or the author, Matt Gertz?

Perhaps I have missed it, but have you responded to this criticism yet? If you have, please let me know where your response can be found, and if you haven't, please do.

Thank you!

Regards,
Bill
Chicago

4/25/2012 12:35 AM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear Bill:

I don't have a clue why you would put your question here and not after my posting on the New York Times story. Here is the response that I posted there.


http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2012/04/matt-richtel-new-fashion-wrinkle.html

I hope that this answers your questions.

4/27/2012 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home