11/24/2008

Might some women be avoiding getting concealed handgun permits because they don't want to be in classes with men?

I hadn't really thought that this could be a problem.

Faith Ferkel has found a universal concern among Ohio women who want to use firearms to protect themselves. Many of the women who would like to obtain a concealed weapon permit are intimidated by the thought of taking the state's mandatory Basic Pistol course with a room full of men.

The NRA certified instructor from Fremont, Ohio, came up with a simple solution when she teamed up with her mother to teach all-ladies pistol courses. Faith and her mom, Joy Ferkel, an adjunct instructor of English and Communications at a local community college, have sparked an idea that is bringing many local women into the firearms circle. There are no male teachers and no male students in their classes, just a relaxed feminine atmosphere that creates a comfortable place to learn.

While the students didn't all have the same reason for wanting to learn how to handle a gun, they all chose the Ferkels' class for the same reason: there were no men. "I probably wouldn't have come if it wasn't an all-girls class," said Rhonda Soper, a legal secretary from Clyde. . . .

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger TYF said...

Interesting idea. I'm male, and in the CCW course I took, I think roughly 2 of the 25 participants were women. I can see how they might feel awkward or out of place. But my question is: before signing up, do women know that almost everyone else in the class will be male?

11/24/2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Hecate said...

I'm female, and am frequently the only woman in my gun-school classes. Doesn't bother me a bit, and never has.

I would guess they're just assuming they'd be in the minority based on the demographics at most gun stores and ranges.

11/25/2008 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fretting about whether or not there will be men in the class doesn't sound like a very promising indicator of the mentality required to carry concealed.

I hope the classes help these women overcome their insecurities.

11/25/2008 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home